So last night I had dreams of getting up like I did during the summer's when I was younger, putting on my jeans, getting to the barn, and spending the morning with the horse. Well... let me just tell you that Mother Nature has had other plans for us equestrians down here in NC. I need to preface this by saying that I am from Michigan where we have indoor arenas, fully enclosed barns with locks so the wind can't come in, and riding in 20 degree weather just "isn't that bad". After going to school in the south and moving to North Carolina in 2008 I can honestly say my ability to "suck it up and ride" has decreased tremendously. I woke up this morning, it was 32 degrees with 30 mph gusts of wind and I honestly contemplated staying in my warm bed for another 2 hours before my flight leaves for Michigan.
I did however get the guts to put on my boots, coat, and hat at trudge out to the barn to see Irish before I leave for the weekend. I was armed with carrots and a lunge line, trying to figure out how I'm ever going to get anything done if this weather doesn't give eventually. Irish was a good sport, I didn't bother to even take off his blankets because the wind was FREEZING. I hooked the lunge line to his halter (not exactly professional, I know... but don't judge ;) ) and tried to figure out if he's ever been on a lunge line before. I was at least smart enough to go to the left first and we made a few octagons, hexagons, and finally a few semi-circles. To the right was a bit more interesting but once he figured out that he needed to keep walking we were well on our way to making weirdly shaped circles in the arena. He was much more interested in getting his grain that he had not received yet since the owner showed up this morning and her mare had her foal but considering the 30 mph winds, the vet scurrying around, and not having his breakfast, Irish was a total stud. I think once we get his feet done and maybe some front shoes on he will be much more willing to move forward. Hopefully it will be warmer and less wintry then!!
Dana & <3 Irish
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment